Today Donnie and I have been married for 16 years. That's also how many years difference there is between he and I. I am the same age now that Donnie was when we got married. My how time flies and at the same time it feels like a lifetime ago when we were raising our young boys together.
There is so much I could say about all that we've been through but if feels cliché. No marriage is perfect. One thing that has changed over the years is our friendship. Donnie is my best friend. He knows me better than anyone else. And in this season of our lives we have settled into a rhythm of day to day life.
I remember when the dream of building our home was only talk. I think we were bored. We used to say we needed a "project." We certainly reached that goal for ourselves. Last night I came home after work to Donnie sanding the sheet rock in the living room. I changed clothes and got to work painting the ceiling of our bedroom and laundry room. The walls in those rooms are officially finished now. Donnie even hung the TV in our room! The TVs seemed normal size in our previous house but now they look HUGE in our little space.
While I was finishing up the painting Donnie put on a pot of soup and made cornbread. We sat down and played a game of chess while eating dinner by the fireplace. This has become our new normal and I find it to be so very sweet. There's a blessing in the ability to enjoy the process of something. Finding contentment in the now. Seeing the beauty in the little things. Learning to appreciate every little accomplishment or even the rest days.
You guys, I've never found walls to be more beautiful in my life. Everywhere I look I'm noticing sheet rock and wall paper. I've decided to bring some wall paper into our home! I can't wait to show you guys. It's going to be so cute.
I wanted to give a little update on the house but also take a moment to acknowledge how thankful I am to the Lord for bringing Donnie and I together. He was so gracious to us in that season of our lives. Our relationship has changed drastically over the years. It's morphed into something really beautiful. I respect and trust Donnie. We aren't perfect, obviously. But we enjoy each other's company and I think that is such a sweet gift.
Happy Anniversary Babe.
No comments:
Post a Comment