When I started this blog I had every intention of sharing our journey with you. You being anyone interested in reading our story. So why has it been six months since my last post??
I have a tendency to care WAY too much about what people think. I let it control me sometimes and become super insecure. The idea of sharing our unconventional lifestyle with the public and opening myself up to everyone's opinions and ridicule would throw me into crippling anxiety. It got pretty bad for a minute.
Then the Lord, in His kindness, sent someone to help me remember who I am in Jesus Christ. My friend pointed out the lies I've been believing. She reminded me of what is true. God totally used her to pick me up out of the muck I was so comfortable wallowing in. He set my feet on a firm foundation, wiped my eyes clear and knocked off the dirt. Just like us momma's do when our little ones fall down. My Father started to speak tenderly to me. He spoke things to my heart that were hard to hear but incredibly refreshing. The Lord is healing broken places in me and I'm regaining my desire to share with you again.
Donnie, Luke, and I have been on the Monkey Farm now for a year. One whole year that feels more like five. There have been moments when I was ready to sell the land and just buy a house. Especially around Christmas time. I love decorating for Christmas and some days I felt a bit trapped. But more days than not we have found joy in our cozy camper and home.
The house is coming along nicely now. Those early days were difficult to gain momentum. The task of building looming large before us. And honestly there were months when we didn't do one thing on the house. When the weather was nice Donnie went fishing, Luke went riding, and I went hiking. But now that winter is here we have been staying pretty steady.
Here is a before and after of Donnie putting in our bedroom window.
All of the sheetrock has been hung.
(The dog in this photo does not belong to us.)
The tile to go around the fireplace is purchased. Donnie built us a really cool iron hearth to sit in front of the fireplace. We need all of the extra seating we can get. It is open underneath to stack wood in the winter. When you live small you look for ways to make things multifunctional.
Isn't my husband a great craftsman? He found a way to bring in some slate for me, lining the base of the hearth. I love slate!
We spend our evenings and weekends mudding the drywall. I would like to think I've gotten pretty good at it. But honestly I think I've just improved from slinging mud all over the place.
One of the hardest things for us through this whole process is not being able to invite friends over. We used to host game nights and dinners regularly. Now we rely on the hospitality of others. We are thankful for our friends!
I'll take some more photos this weekend to share with you our progress. Thanks for reading!
Blessings
No comments:
Post a Comment