Thursday, March 23, 2023

The Mark of Wisdom


 Wisdom is knowledge applied.

I've had some thoughts rattling around in my mind lately and figured I'd write them down and line them up. Sometimes it gives me better perspective and it always helps me process a thought or concept. 

Have you ever met a person who seemed to be full of information on a topic or all kinds of topics? There are certain people who have a passion for learning and they love to share what they've learned. Often times their sharing comes from a place of passion. 

I'm picturing myself at my local gym. WHY must I tell people what I see that needs correcting? First, I'm bound to be wrong sometimes or more and second, I don't want to be "that guy." The know it all who comes across aggressively to people. I hate the fact that I can do that sometimes. BUT, my passion for sharing what I believe to be correct form and movement often takes over. My intent is to benefit others and I'm compelled to share my thoughts. This is one example of a passionate know it all. 

Apply Grace Here.

Have you ever met a person and walked away from them thinking "whoa...they came on strong?" Maybe they seemed opinionated or talked a LOT. I think of this as clamoring for attention. To demand someone's attention. At first, they appear to have high self-esteem, but if you look deeper I believe you will find insecurity and fear to be at the helm. (All of a sudden, I'm using boat analogies..smh)

We all experience insecurity and fear. It's a part of the basic human experience. We just don't want it determining our actions and controlling our lives. 

I am learning to sit back and watch more often. As opposed to jumping to a judgement about something or someone, categorizing them, and then moving on. It's taken a lot of heartache to bring me to this place. Maybe heartache is a prerequisite to wisdom. Anyways, it's a practice and none of us ever arrives to the place of perfection. The moment we think we have it all figured out, we are served a slice of humble pie in the form of reality.

Somewhere along the way, I landed with the definition of wisdom as knowledge applied. You may know a lot about something (knowledge), but do you know how to apply that knowledge to reality, to a specific situation in every day life? 

You can read all of the books on marriage your heart desires but until you are married and doing life with someone, you can't really know deep down what marriage is like. It's like a college student fresh out of school about to face the "real world." No doubt, their education will benefit them down the road, but first they need experience to afford them opportunities to apply their education. 

I was looking up some verses on wisdom and this one in particular has always caught my attention. Proverbs 17:28 "Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues." I can't help but laugh at that verse! 

Well...yeah. Duh. 

And yet... 

it's profound

I have another verse I want to share here. I'm going to write it out in a couple of different versions. It's Proverbs 10:19 (BTW - Proverbs are considered wise sayings)

"Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues." NIV

"Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut." NLT

"When words are many, sin is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise." BSB

This leads me to question myself when I feel compelled to share advice with others. What is my motivation? And you know, sometimes I can't see that my innermost desire is to be seen in a good light. I want to be seen as knowledgeable. I like to be admired.

Ouch. Apply Humility Here.

I'm drawn to people with quiet confidence. I really enjoy learning about people in an open environment, where there is no agenda or ulterior motive. When I know they're not trying to prove themselves to me and I don't need to prove myself to them. I crave connections where we talk and listen to each other mutually. 

This is the kind of person I want to be. I want to show up for you in this way. I want people to experience me as a calm and confident person. I can't control how people experience me though. Everyone's lens is different and it's exhausting trying to fit people with a lens that will allow myself to be seen in a good light. I know. I could write a book about it. Pretty sure I have a diagnosis to confirm this about me. 

And that is where I apply more grace. I apply grace to myself and to others. And as soon as I think I'm wise in my own eyes (Proverbs 3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil) I pray the Lord will show me so I can turn from that prideful way of thinking. 

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in humility that comes from wisdom. James 3:13

Humility is a marker of a life of wisdom. A desire to honor God and others above oneself. Let this be our heart's desire. Then we won't clamor for attention or our own way. Our knees will be quicker to bend and our heads to bow to the authority of God in our lives. And our hearts will be led by love. 

I write this for myself. The irony of this writing is not lost on me. Although, sharing our hearts with others shouldn't be seen as a negative thing. I'm so thankful to be surrounded with a community of people who are loving and open. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts or experiences! I wish I could sit down and talk to you over coffee about this. But for now, I'll keep writing in my online journal and hope someone else will read it and just maybe be stirred to deeper reflection or encouraged. 



No comments:

Post a Comment