The first time I heard the term minimalism was in 2011, the year I fell in love with backpacking. My dad was telling me about people who would drill holes through their spoons or cut off the end of their toothbrush to cut back on weight. It was all about going as light as possible and taking only the essentials. The idea seemed crazy to me at the time.
Minimalism is: Focusing on the Essentials
Although I don't consider myself a minimalist backpacker, one could argue that a backpacker of any sort is indeed a minimalist. The beauty of backpacking is intentionality. It is for me anyways. I thoughtfully plan and consider every item I take on a trip. You know...since I will be carrying it all on my back as I hike. A beginner backpacker will realize the necessity of forethought usually within their first couple of miles into their hike. Once they hit the first hill they quickly begin to rethink the extra pair of shoes or how much food they actually need.
As it turns out, I don't need much to have a great backpacking experience. In fact the fewer options available to me, the more freedom I have. Picture this:
My friend and I have enjoyed a long day of hiking and exploring the beautiful Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. It's about 5pm and we are ready to make camp for the night. We have everything we need on our backs. We come up on a side trail that leads us to a beautiful overlook of a waterfall. There is a creek nearby for water and ambience. Our muscles are fatigued and we are hungry. As we drop our packs we take a big stretch and a deep breath. We are home for the night.
We empty our packs of everything inside. Everywhere you look there are clothes, food, and gear. Everything we need. It isn't long before our tent is up and we have a fire going. As we sit by the fire and chat we decide what's for dinner. Simple choice. We only have a couple of options. And it's wonderful. We are careless and spend our time focused on what matters most. Each other.
One of the many things I love about backpacking is the authentic relationships that naturally form on the trail. We don't waste time on comparisons. We aren't worried about what someone else thinks of us. We have one goal and we work together to accomplish it. It's a beautiful thing!
The art of minimalism is removing excess
If only we had to carry around everything we owned on our backs! We wouldn't have rooms filled with things that if we are honest, we aren't even sure how they got there.
My family has recently begun the pursuit of a minimalistic lifestyle. Albeit, a bit unknowingly on their part, we are slowly making changes that will bring the freedom of the trail into our home and lives. Oh..my..sweetness. The freedom of the trail. (Did I just find my first book title?)
Have you seen the minimalism movement in your community? It's slowly catching on here in Arkansas. Maybe you're like I was and are just sitting back and watching everyone else for a bit. That's great! I've watched enough you tube videos to know there is something to it and the joy it has brought to people.
Minimalism means being intentional. Considering what you want in life and pursuing that. Removing the excess, the unnecessary, the distractions.
I'm going to share our journey with you here. Our lives are far from perfect, but I'm going to be real and vulnerable with you guys. Because authenticity is where it's AT!
So follow me as we travel along the path of minimalism.
No comments:
Post a Comment